|Leather Basics Furniture Buying Tips
Ahhh, leather...nothing matches the Classic, Comfortable and
Sophisticated look and feel of leather.
One of the major determinants of the quality of a leather upholstered
piece is the type of leather used.
All leather is the product of animal
hides. However, these hides vary greatly in their quality. The origin of the
hides, the way in which they're converted to leather and the method used to
dye the hides all contribute to their value.
- Leather is versatile...it blends with any
whether traditional or contemporary.
- Leather is a natural skin...and just like human skin, it is flexible
enough to stretch and return to its original shape.
- Leather breathes....it's cool in the summer and retains warmth in the
- Leather never feels sticky...try sitting on any
synthetic material, on a hot summer day, and you'll know what I mean.
- Leather is durable... it stands up to the rigors of
- Leather is fire resistant...it emits no toxic fumes, even when exposed
to extreme heat.
- Leather resists tearing and cracking...it needs
very little maintenance.
- Leather won’t permanently stretch out of shape.
- Leather gains richness and appeal over the years...how
many other materials look better as they age?
- Leather outlasts fabric...having a useful life of 15 – 20 years
verses 4 – 5 years of most fabrics.
Types of Leather:
Corrected Leather: Leather
that's been sanded to
have the blemishes removed and then embossed to give it a uniform look. It
also has had protective coatings applied to make it more soil resistant and
have better color consistency.
Uncorrected Leather: Only the best
hides are selected they are more supple to the touch and will develop a
beautiful patina (antique appearance) over time.
Uncorrected (more so than corrected leather) leather has unique
one-of-a-kind markings. Leather is, after all, a natural product and
like anything natural, it's not always perfect. Its markings should be
considered beauty marks produced by Nature, as its' signature, and guarantee that the product is
genuine, not man-made.
The natural scars, bug bites, neck wrinkles, brands
and the slight difference in the shading of color on the hides add
uniqueness and romance to your furniture.
Uncorrected leather is not as soil resistant as
No matter the leather you choose, you can be sure that
hide will supply you with years of comfort, style and versatility.
For more information regarding leather you'll want to
read the "Leather Markings" chapter.